March 10th, 2004
Today's ineffable mystery: Why is the Dave Matthews Band performing at the NAACP Image Awards?
|Date:||March 10th, 2004 09:03 pm (UTC)|| |
Maybe because 60% of the band is African-American (80% if you count Dave himself and use the term literally). Also, since Dave is a South Afrikaner, his integrated band might represent an especially progressive ideal of racial harmony or something like that, considering his homeland's history.
Or perhaps the P-Funk was busy.
Good answer! Damn. And I was all ready to be judgemental.
Top 10 Reasons DMB is at the NAACP Image awards:
10. Crossover success of "Don't Drink the Water" club remix.
9. Knows too well that the deadly sting of apartheid can only be solved with a rousing rendition of "Stay (wasting time)" anthem.
8. Because the band employs the only black man in the history of Earth to play the violin.
7. Dave Matthews wants to challenge Michael McDonald for "most souless impression of motown style" crown.
6. Another DMB opportunity to record and sell another live performance of the same songs on other live records.
5. Plans to perform in black face and to copy image-altering success of fellow South African Charlize Theron
4. Invitation to DMX had a typo. NAACP too polite/embarassed to explain.
3. Wants to recreate public persona as "Puff Matty".
2. HUGE Girlfriends fan. HUGE.
1. Because an opportunity to help Abercrombie & Fitch break into the "ethnic" market is a terrible thing to waste.
Were you not already spoken for, I'd be on my way to gender reassignment surgery so I could bear your children. I laughed so hard I'm in pain.
All hail! HAIL!
Glad you enjoyed. I'm flattered and embarassed by your praise.
But yes, I thought this was a funny story too. Like the whole Justin Timerberlake Motown mess