?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Here is my life: some people go on vacations. I have spent much of… - Misanthropy & Entropy, Inc.

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> New reader? Start here.

Links
The Harvey & Bob Show
WarrenEllis.com
Achewood
A Softer World
The Pain--When Will It End?
Deadspin
Patton Oswalt
Buy me things!

July 16th, 2007


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:06 am
Here is my life: some people go on vacations. I have spent much of today looking at websites for luxury hotels I will never stay in, located in cities I will never visit.

(7 points | Discuss)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:jrstraus
Date:July 16th, 2007 03:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I disagree. I believe that it's all about priorities. If you decide that you're really committed to doing those things, you'll find a way.
[User Picture]
From:somebodystrange
Date:July 17th, 2007 12:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Respectfully, I disagree with the disagreement. That's a fine statement for encouragement purposes in most cases; however, part of the reason I liked Fight Club so much is that it pointed out the unintended and unfortunate results of that power-of-positive-thinking mantra. Not everyone will grow up to be rock stars or movie idols. Not everyone who is committed to being President will be President. Some goals are not possible, and others are improbable enough that it hurts to consider working towards them. In a way, you're still right, jrstraus -- there's a big difference between travel and the Presidency (withhold the jokes! withhold the jokes!) in that millions of people do travel... However, there are some goals that would require such massive changes that your comment about priorities becomes ominous. My priorities -- to have a comfortable life with my wife without panicking about finances -- are in order, but it doesn't stop me from longing for the possibility of travel to foreign lands.

John -- I do the exact same thing. The quickest way to ruin my mood is to tell me you (not you specifically) are going on a trip to some fantastic-sounding place I've never seen, because I believe I'll probably never see it.

I'm not going to try to make you feel better, but if "misery loves company" holds true, you're welcome.
[User Picture]
From:jrstraus
Date:July 17th, 2007 02:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I protest! It's not all about power of positive thinking. I may feel that way sometimes, but I don't think that's what my intent was with my post. You're right - there are some things we just can't get/do for a variety of reasons (ie. the presidency).

But I was talking about priorities. For me - if I stopped eating out, curbed my clothing habit, kept taking the train instead of getting that shiny car to drive to work and spend more on gas.... I could go on that great vacation that I keep dreaming about. I don't chalk the fact that I'm not going on that vacation up to fate or my bad luck, I recognize that it's all in my priorities, and by knowing that, I can accept it.

So is it a lack of funds, or a lack of imagination and of committment? How important is that vacation?
[User Picture]
From:somebodystrange
Date:July 17th, 2007 05:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I protest the protest! (If you knew me better, you'd know I'm saying this in fun as opposed to being a little flame-war troll. I hope you read this how it is intended...)

I don't know John's finances particularly well, which is fine; and I hesitate to reveal too much of my own. However, there is a point at which the sacrifices we make in order to pursue an expensive dream prove to be too great. Yes, I could stop eating at restaurants (which is my main expense outside of actual living expenses), and I could buy more store-brand and less name-brand groceries (although we're actually pretty frugal) and I could decide not to go to the movies or buy any books, and that would be all right. But mostly, I don't have very many expenses that are superfluous, and I've generally found that the "little" splurges I have get me through the day/week/life. I've learned that I have to be willing to spend a few bucks on a fancy coffee every now and again (absolute maximum: once per week) in order to relieve a little stress.

But I'm willing to sacrifice my big travel dreams in order to make my daily life comfortable. You're right in that it's a matter of priorities -- mine is to make sure I don't make my life (or, more importantly, my wife's) miserable through sacrifice in pursuit of a temporary period of luxury.
[User Picture]
From:somebodystrange
Date:July 17th, 2007 05:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
(I forgot the last part of the above post, which is...)

However, it doesn't stop me from being insanely jealous whenever a friend tells me they're going on a trip to England.
[User Picture]
From:jrstraus
Date:July 17th, 2007 07:13 pm (UTC)

I love a good debate.

(Link)
No worries - I like a conversation that I have to think about. I think that (huzzah!) we're on the same page. I could despair of not being able to run off and see Cordoba, but I'd rather acknowledge that it's a choice I make every day. As long as I remember that, I can appreciate my 'little splurges' that much more.
[User Picture]
From:babyrome
Date:July 17th, 2007 08:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Then GO!!! You're the only one stopping you. If it's too expensive, then look for something less expensive. Vacations are good for the soul. Camping is fun too. Eh? Eh?

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com